Monday, July 27, 2009

Do You Believe In Unlikely Events??

Hello Biggies and Loyal Players of the Big Trivia Show.

Most of you have been coming to play the Big Trivia Show for a while now.
For some of you, it’s been a couple of months. For others, it’s been a year, maybe even two. But I bet some of you did not know this about me, I‘m a small business owner. Well, I WAS a small business owner.

My wife and I had a 49% ownership stake in the Olde Cup and Saucer in Longwood which we helped open in the summer of 2006. The original idea of purchasing an ownership stake was to have a secure investment and to be able to watch it build into something sustainable and of course, profitable.

Much like many of you, things were humming right along until the economy decided to recede like a hairline and things changed drastically. I was forced to find a new profession in the Fall of 2007 which I finally did in early 2008. Of course, being without a steady paycheck for a while makes you re-evaluate everything including having a 49% ownership stake in a relatively new business. Not to mention, established businesses were being chewed up and spit out. Hell, if Bennigans couldn’t survive, what makes you think all 900 square feet of my loose tea and coffee business could?

Well, it did (although it was in ICU on life support). The debt was piling up and things were looking grim. I had been desperately trying to sell my stake since I lost my job back in 07 but the other owner couldn’t afford to buy me out. We weren’t able to get ahead and the other owners and I had decided we could no longer go on. Our Going Out of Business Sale was set for July 26th. We needed a miracle (or at least an unlikely event).

That is exactly what we got this weekend.

Someone stepped up and agreed to buy my portion of the business ensuring the business would stay open for the foreseeable future!

This made my year!

Not only because I was able to save part of my investment, but I really want to see the business thrive even if I will no longer be a part of it. I truly wish the Olde cup and Saucer the very best and I want to encourage you to stop by and check it out. Support local business!! You know, the one’s who didn’t receive a government bailout or a dime of stimulus money.

You have to smile for the little guy who survived the recessions best shot and is still going. I know I am.

www.oldecupandsaucer.com

Oh, this is a TRIVIA BLOG!! Sorry about that. Let’s move on.

It’s time to announce our BTS Team of the Week. As you know (unless you’re brand new to the blog), I recently went back to host Friday Happy Hour Trivia at Copper Rocket Pub in Maitland. Most of the teams that play that show were there during my first go around. I think it’s safe to say that most of the time, I Like Beer was in the running for the Grand Prize. After all, they were the Copper Rocket Team of the Year for 2008. Apparently, they had hit a bit of a slump while I was gone and had not won since I left. That slump ended this week as they took it to the competition with the form they showed in 08. I like to think it was my return that inspired them to victory. Perhaps, they were sober.

Either way, it is my pleasure to congratulate our BTS Team of the Week…..
I LIKE BEER

They will earn 3 extra points on their next quiz FRIDAY AT COPPER ROCKET!

Big thanks to the folks at Cheers in Kissimmee for their hospitality last Monday as I filled in for Cornell. I had a blast! Good news, I will be doing it again on Monday August 10th so make plans to be there.

You can catch the BIG Trivia Show at these wonderful locations!!

Smokey Bones Bar and Fire Grill Waterford Lakes starting at 7:30pm.
http://www.smokeybones.com/

Wednesday at Gator's Dockside in Lake Mary (Lake Mary Blvd right past Lake Emma) now starting at 7pm
http://www.gatorsdockside.com/

Thursdays at Coasters Sports Pub inside Boardwalk Bowl for two exciting games beginning at 9pm!!
www.alomabowlingcenters.com/boardwalkbowl.html

Friday at Copper Rocket Pub in Maitland for Happy Hour Trivia beginning at 6pm!
www.copperrocketpub.com

This Week's Results:

Tuesday at Smokey Bones Bar and Fire Grill 2 Games ($20, $15, $10 both games)
1st Place- Hand Pulled Pork/Steel City (79Pts-High Score)
2nd Place-Friends of Bill/Friends of Bill
3rd Place-Everything Rhymes With Orange/Hand Pulled Pork

Wednesday @ Gators Dockside Lake Mary 2 Games ($20/$15/$10)
1st Place— Are You My Daddy?/The Dude Abides
2nd Place- We Find The Holes/Star Whores
3rdPlace-Nacho/Are You My Daddy?

Thursday @ Coasters Sports Pub (inside Boardwalk Bowl) 2 Games ($25/$15/$10)
1st Place-I Had My Face In Steph’s No No Place On Tuesday
2nd Place- Angry Masterbaters
3rd Place- Brown Baggin Heffers

Friday@ Copper Rocket Pub- One 3 Round Game ($15/Bud Pitcher/Bud Gadgets and Gizmos)
1st Place-I Like Beer (BTS Team of the Week)
2nd Place- It’s Rd 3, Don’t Be A Baby Factory
3rd Place- The Seaward

Now for this week's JUMBLE PHRAZE THAT PAYZ! Simply unscramble the five word jumble, and write it on your sheet.

THE PHRAZE IS WORTH 5 POINTS AND IS ONLY ACCEPTABLE FOR THE THREE ROUND GAME ONLY!

SIMPLY WRITE IT ONCE PER GAME ON YOUR ANSWER SHEETS .........GOOD LUCK!!
This Week's Theme.....Movin on

NITCGTU
OSLOE
AET
USSSBIEN
IRENOWPHS

Remember, any new person you bring will earn you ONE EXTRA POINT PER NEW PERSON!!

NEW PERSON POINTS LIMITED TO FIVE PER SHOW !! Please No repeats!! Once they are new, they cannot be used as new again. Just let me know and I will give it to you!

Thanks to all of the Big Trivia Show Venues and Congrats once again to our BTS Team of the Week....I LIKE BEER

Thanks again for all of your support.

You thought last week was great, just wait til this week!

Steads

P.S Good Luck Olde Cup and Saucer!

No comments: